Friday 25 April 2008

rainbow quilt tutorial

This tutorial will hopefully show you how to make a fibonacci inspired rainbow quilt, with a finished size of 28x28 inches.














Fabric requirements

background (white)

2 strips - 3 1/2 x 28 inches

6 strips - 2 1/2 x 28 inches

42 squares - 2 x 2 inches


for each colour (there are 7) cut

a - 7 x 2 inches

b - 4 1/2 x 2

c - 3 x 2

d - 2 x 2

e - 1 1/2 x 2

f - 1 x 2

g - 1 x 2

you will also need a 30 x 30 peice of wadding, a 30 x 30 piece of backing fabric, and fabric for the binding.














take each coloured strip, and to it sew one of the 42 white squares, using a 1/4 inch seam.














then lay out the pattern, this is the fun bit.

each line across has one of every size(letter) in that colour.

each line down has one of every size (letter), one of each colour.

think of a sudoko grid, there's only one of each in a line, and they run in sequence.

abcdefg - red

bcdefga - orange

cdefgab - yellow

defgabc - green

efgabcd - blue

fgabcde - indigo

gabcdef - violet




















sew together all of the peices in each vertical strip




















press the seams away from the white squares.














in between each strip insert one of the 2 1/2 x 28 white strips, and on the outer edges sew the wider 3 1/2 x 28 strips














presss seams away from the white strips, and then layer a square of wadding and a backing fabric (make both slightly larger 30x30), baste and quilt however you like. It would look very effective in vertical lines, or I'm going to stipple all the white areas, and leave the colours unquilted. Add a binding, I'm going to make a white binding. I'll show the finished quilt asap, in the meantime if you have any questions, ask me in the comments, or email me and I'll to help. I hope this makes sense to everyone, it's the first time I've written a tutorial.... If you make it I'd love to know!

18 comments:

  1. Oooh, I've got brain-ache in sympathy with you. I'm very impressed both with the quilt and the tutorial; I shall put it on my to-do list, possibly for a baby to be born in December...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I would love to be able to say I shall have a go straight away. I would be telling a bit fat porker though. Instead I shall wish everyone else good luck!! (and I will stick to my day job...)xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tutorial for such a fab quilt. Unfortunately as soon as you mentioned the word sudoku I lost my way!!! Seriously though it is beautiful and you make it look deceptively easy.
    Kimx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful and so well described!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, even I understood that.. you'll definately have to do more.. Looking forward to your applique post too
    have a lovely weekend
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love this little quilt! I have a real thing for solids at the moment! Well done it is really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial Tess. Definitely beyond my level I think, but I love the idea and your execution!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great tutorial and such a pretty quilt! This is going on my list of future projects!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is an awesome tutorial. Love all the white space. Just makes the colors pop off the canvas! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your quilt looks beautiful, so it is very tempting to try to make one. I wish I has a sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, that is beautiful, and very impressive too--thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! I will add this to my ever growing lost of projects to be tried one day. I mean really, how can I not want to make a mathematical quilt?! Hmmm, wonder if it's too late to make one for Lucy's swap ... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh - I think that's really pretty! Thanks for the tutorial! It's great! I love how there aren't that many little seams to match up! The long strips of white take care of that for me! Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on the sew mama sew contest win! This really is such a beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  15. oh, I want to do this. I am glad you won! now I will have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  16. CONGRATULATIONS ON THE (Sew Mama) WIN! :) I really LOVE the quilt and will try making one very soon (hopefully!). Thank you for sharing. The tutorial was very easy to follow :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're the quilt I saw on flickr a few months ago, commented on, and forgot about when I went to make the fibonacci quilt podcast! I am SO SO sorry for forgetting. Thanks SO much for commenting on my blog and podcast. I'll have to do an update to that post sometime (maybe not right away), but now I have your comment to remind me. Very excellent quilt!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.