Tuesday 15 December 2009

book club outing

a few months ago the book club I've joined read Wife in the North, a blog turned book, written by a journalist who moved from London to Northumberland at the request of her hubby, who promptly went back to London to work, leaving her with 2 small children, and culture shock.

last night at Barter books, my favourite bookshop in the whole world, there was a talk by the author, sitting in the old waiting room, with a roaring fire, a glass of wine, and a talk about books and blogging; what's not to like.

as with the book I laughed, I almost cried, I admired the courage to bare your soul publicly, balancing the need to talk with the need to consider the feelings of those around you, and the reactions you might cause.

and when asked if anyone had a blog I kept quiet...... still not ready to share locally what I am happy to share on a wider scale, I guess my own blog balancing is still at the wobbling stage....

8 comments:

  1. I think we all have that wobble sometimes and it's nice to have something private - don't you think?

    take care,

    Nina xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's odd, isn't it, how you can be confident about something one minute and then shy about the next. I know just what you mean.

    But also, I don't know if even in my most confident moments whether I would have been happy to shout out in that environment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are different sorts of blogs - some burn brightly and publicly like a firework and are difficult to ignore and others burn quietly over a long period of time like an Aga in the heart of a home. I know which sort of blog you write and I am glad that you do because the friends that you have made over the past two years value your warmth and generous support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I would have done the same in your shoes. Your blog is always a tonic and much as we'd be happy to share it with many others we enjoy it just as it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny isn't it? I think sometimes I'd like to mention that I have a blog, but I don't think I'd go as far as dishing out the address!
    I feel very protective over 'my space'.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I need to check out that blog/book!

    I am completely quirky and inconsistent about where and to whom I reveal my bloggery. With some real-life people, even those I don't know well, I don't hesitate to spill the beans. But with most, I still keep it under my hat...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think you should keep going with your blog as it is and the rest will surely follow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know what you mean about blog sharing! x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.