Wednesday 16 February 2011

suitable Saturday night family viewing?

It all started with an assistant in a bookshop. she recommended the series to Miss K who was wandering about clutching a birthday book voucher.

I should have known better than to say ok to a book called Angus, thongs and full frontal snogging. The snogging bit really should have warned me. Miss K was thrilled, "all my friends are reading them, they laugh out loud in lessons"

Miss K comes home, reads several of the books, pronounces them very funny.

Fast forward two weeks and Father Christmas in a fit of needing something a little extra for a stocking saw the DVD of Angus, Thongs and perfect snogging and thought Miss K will like that.

Fast forward again to last Saturday night, where DVD is selected as part of a special Saturday night, movie and tv dinner treat.

DVD is rated a 12. Miss K is now 12. E is 10. I read the box. moderate language. no signs of gratuitous violence. I ok it. (choosing suitable films might be a whole other post - it's a mine field....)

the verdict

me; I have a nearly teenager. I was quite worried about it. Now I am very worried about it.

J; he laughed a lot, especially at the bits where the parents embarrassed their daughter.

E; pronounces it gross, especially the snogging. "that film was disgusting"

Miss K; runs out into the hall a lot squirming. perhaps it's a movie to watch with your friends not your parents!



my fave quote - "if you haven't noticed I'm a woman now, I wear a bra"



next movie night I decline film choice responsibility....

20 comments:

  1. I took my daughter to see that that at the cinema when it was first out - she must have been about 12 or 13. I don't remember it being too bad but films can be less embarrassing in the dark of a cinema than in the comfort of your own home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I once picked out a movie based on a blurb and thought it sounded great. There was a lot of squirming and odd looks in my direction throughout (it wasn't a kid's movie but none of us were kids--it was just an odd film). Afterwards, the room was quiet and my sister says "Anything Bethany picks in the future has to be seconded." My other sister says "How about we just never let her pick again?" I feel your pain :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWKWARD. But funny. Poor little Miss K; I hope she has recovered from the trauma.

    My children are currently on a Mamma Mia! kick, which I am thinking might also be fodder for a blog post...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my. I am not looking forward to the day when my two graduate from really kiddie stuff. We're planning to see Gnomeo and Juliet over half term and I am praying it's going to just be funny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's difficult watching things with your parents when you hit your teenage years. I remember watching a David Attenborough documentary where Giant Tortoises were trying to mate (there was a hell of a lot of loud grunting going on). I just wanted the sofa to swallow me up, I was sooooo embarrassed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm saying nothing. Nothing.

    You know what I'm saying!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear - my big girl read all the books and really enjoyed the film. But it is hard to move onto more grown up stuff especially with a younger sibling.
    Better luck next time.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is too funny but of course I have never heard about the book, or the DVD for that matter. Your family scenario actually does sound like a scene from a teen movie. I find it so funny when our 10 and 7 year old look away from any kissing in films, they find it so disgusting. Perhaps we should all watch Nanny McPhee or Chitty Chitty Bang Bang instead. (Incidentally I love those films!) x

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh blimey-saw it myself a few weeks ago...I was more interested in how lovely their house was than the story line..!
    I still remember sitting on the sofa with parents in the vicinity,wanting to die of embarrassment when people started snogging on the telly. The shame!x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Made me laugh. A is just 5 so we've a few more years before the "fun" really starts.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I feel for Miss K but can't help but laugh. I know just how she feels! Have you seen 'Adaptation'? There's one scene which (whilst sat on the sofa between my dad and my husband) caused a lot of squirming even at the age of 33!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember going through all that with my lot - sad to say, we kinda gave up in the end and trusted them to find their own way through these things! As you say, a minefield.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate to this - i remember that darn book! You do have to watch those ratings, i bought Cold Comfort farm for mine to watch, rated 12, but I dont think id even want her watching it now even now -shouldve been rated a 15 atleast!Glad i watched it first!
    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't seen this - mine are too old now...all I get is, " She's well hot " from Joe during films ( he's 15 )

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't imagine ever wanting to watch a film with 'thongs' in the title.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh dear. I don't think I knew what 'thongs' were when I was twelve... or 16... or... well whatever i was a late developer.

    My boys are still at the age when they think snogging is just hilarious, not awkward or embarassing.

    Don't know how long that will last...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmm it's a difficult area isn't it? I know the films that our younger son (and he's grown-up, sort of!) recommends, I always think are rubbish!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ha ha ha I hate the bit with the sloppy kisser!! I love Steve Jones though xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog, I was so pleased as I have found your blog now! I really enjoyed reading your post, my son is 19 now and we still have many embarrassing moments when I walk in on his film viewing! Abby x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh blimey - I have all that to come. With the girls anyhow.

    Nina x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.