Thursday 3 March 2011

better late than never?

half term round up, only a few days late......

For all lovers of children's literature, The Seven Stories in Newcastle is a must. Seven floors of bookish delights, art work, dressing up, the history of the puffin book and a rather nice cafe.

Right next to it is Ouseburn farm; polytunnels, veggie beds, pigs, rabbits, guinea pigs and chickens, right in the middle of the city.

Crossing over the pennines I can recommend Lancaster City Museum, and also the amazing gallery space of The Storey Institute and the very impressive paper art work hanging in the entrance space comes from here. The cafe is lovely too, take care though, whilst meeting a friend for the first time it is best perhaps not to disgrace yourself my choking on some rocket - Miss K has wise words about such things "salad is dangerous, eat cake"...........

back home and the garden makeover continues, my once neat veggie bad now holds a huge mountain of soil, and there is a pile of wood and paving slabs awaiting the next move. J is in charge of all heavy lifting and planning, so I have to forgive him for the paint/grey hair misdemeanor..... besides in his opinion grey hairs are to be highly prized - they haven't fallen out....

9 comments:

  1. Good luck with the garden make over, the weather has a lot of say in this sort of thing!

    Bee happy x
    Have a delicious day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your half term was funfilled and exciting. Almost perilous. I agree totally with Miss K. Cake every time for me. Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. *feverishly adds more attractions to list of things to do on UK trip*

    *also fantasizing about lunch date with driftwood and coffee lady*

    (Happy gardening, o industrious one and her hirsutism-challenged assistant!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Men always manage too redeem themselves with heavy lifting. look forward to hearing more about a garden makeover.
    Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you had a very busy half-term break.

    I'm looking forward to photos of your garden. I'm sure the final result will be beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Drat - I wish I had known all this when I was in Lancaster last week!!
    Sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To be honest, I had barely noticed you choking. Eldest does it so much I have just started zoning it out. You would have had to turn purple and fall to the floor for me to pick that up.

    I realise that this is a Bad Thing.

    Also I shall add not taking you to the Maritime Museum to the list of my great regrets. Bad tour guide. Bad, bad.

    It was just lovely to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So very jealous you went to Seven Stories. Since first hearing about it a year and a half ago, its been on my mind to visit, but it always seems so far for a day trip (especially when you haven't any children to take with you as justification for being there!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Duh...just found your post! My family live in the NE and I keep meaning to take my 7 year old to Seven Stories...it sounds fantastic. And you have just given me my favorite quote of the year so far...Salad is dangerous; eat cake. priceless!! have a very good weekend x

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.