Friday 24 October 2008

a bit carried away

at about 2.30pm last Sunday the border in the back garden looked liked this





but J made the fatal mistake of saying "I think that the border needs pruning", and in a supreme moment of rashness we decided rather than prune it, to rip it all out instead..

so now we have this..........





this weekend's jobs will include digging out some pretty substantial stumps, I won't show you the VERY impressive bruise I have on my leg from walking into this one....



and then we're going to create our very own miniature version of this.




with the help of this




when we decided to sell the house we gave up our allotment, and J insisted I put all of my gardening books and excessive collection of cookbooks in the attic. well guess what, the house hasn't sold, and it clearly isn't going to, so for now J is resigned to another year of a long commute, and I'm drooling over seed catalogues, and hauling all (ok maybe just a few) of those cook books back out of the attic. I can't get them all out, because I've just ordered this




and this




don't tell J..........

19 comments:

  1. You never know the mini 'allotment' might just sell the house!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh sounds like it will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, that WAS supremely rash! Can you come and do that to mine? My house looks exactly like the chateau in that photo -- what a coincidence! (The books look positively yummy -- have fun!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I promise not to tell J as long as there's some chocolate in the deal for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you'll post photos of your new garden once it is all done (I'm happy to wait for spring). I may get that book if all goes well and we'll get the house with a tiny garden. Any other gardening books you can recommend to someone, who only grew things in play during her childhood?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will be waiting patiently for the after pic,s which we hope you will be posting in the not to distant future. I think they will be lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVED Valentine Warner's show, especially the episode with the WI :) Must let me know how you get on with the cookbook. K x

    ReplyDelete
  8. sorry to hear about the house, good luck with your plot. Someone else hiding things from the other half - chuckle
    lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. That book was my whole inspiration for getting my first veg beds...if I'm honest, it was probably just the photo on the front cover that got me hooked!
    I've got the Christmas book on my list too...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Villandry!! I have been there!!
    I must tell you in confidence that it is the scariest garden I have ever been to in my life. So perfectly pruned and trained and clipped that the plants looked plastic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You truly are a cookbook addict! lol
    ..and ouch to that stump..I need that sort of effort in my garden! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow that was a bit of a transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very exciting!! I can't wait to see how this turns out...love the idea of a mini allotment! Happy Days ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that kind of pruning, so therapeutic!!! Can't wait to see future pictures.
    I'm going to have to go and check the Complete christmas book out now! Just can't help myself!
    Jane. x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was flipping through Sarah Ravens new book today, it looks really lovely. Happy reading! (and gardening)x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE Sarah raveen, her veg plot book is my fave gardneing book, soooo inspirational.
    Only just discovered V Warner last week, how come I missed him????
    have fun with all the planning and seed ordering, such fun!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello sorry only just seen your lovely comment....thought i'd pop by to say hi!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Well, this is a bit late, but I think it looks much better post pruning.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.