Monday 19 May 2014

job description?

exam invigilator requirements.

a clock, a basket of envelopes to collect in any phones, patience, important notices (especially the one for outside the door that says "SILENCE - Exam in Progress", even though no-one reads it............) exam papers, continuation sheet, invigilator record, seating plan, spare black pens (and no we don't have a spare pencil, eraser, pencil sharpener, ruler, scientific calculator or a partridge in pear tree) improvisational skills (for when something doesn't go to plan....), patience, counselling skills (for the student in tears as she can't find where her exam is supposed to be and now she's going to be late and is all in a panic......) patience, tolerance, eyes in the back of your head, patience, the ability to prowl quietly between rows of desks without tripping over, patience, sanity (optional).

9 comments:

  1. Oh, been there, done that. I never enjoyed proctoring exams when I was teaching. We didn't really have cell phones yet back then, it adds a whole new dimension to the job requirements to have to collect and keep them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. and the winner of the most bizarre outfit is...?
    I also want to know if you have ever tripped? It sounds like you have.
    Ax

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad the sanity is optional because I imagine if you had it going in you'd be unable to find it coming out, far better to leave it at home and hook up with it again when the fun's all over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd fail on the ability to walk quietly between desks without falling over. I have a friend who designs elaborate cakes while she invigilates. I think I'd struggle to stay awake, I'm not very good with the sitting still. It sounds like you have it all down pat though. I hope it flies by for you! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not sure that I could do this job, I would probably get the giggles or trip over and crash into a table or something inappropriate! I imagine that it is a job that is a lot harder than it sounds. I hope that it all goes well though. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha -- you're so cute. Sounds like you're having fun LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh it brings it all back! Always a trial for me...not the most patient of people...funny how something can be so stressful and yet boring at the same time. Mx

    ReplyDelete
  8. a bit like being a mum, then...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't forget tissues. I often wonder if the examiner received my blood soaked exam paper and wondered if I had tried to end it all.

    (I hadn't: just an epic nosebleed thanks to hayfever)

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.