Tuesday 2 September 2014

holiday snap shots from the Yorkshire coast

Whitby Abbey. Standing proud on the cliffs overlooking the sea there are steep steps to climb to reach the Abbey, but it's always worth it. As a bonus the exercise makes you extra hungry for the annual gluten free fish and chips.


Looking north towards Saltburn.


Looking South towards Port Mulgrave.




























Stormy seas.
The rescue helicopter. Stormy seas and playing on the harbour wall don't mix, the lifeboat went out to rescue someone who was washed out to sea......... Broken bones but no lasting damage apparently, but the lifeboat crewman we spoke to thought they were very lucky.


There are blue skies in some of these photos, but the weather was described by the forecaster as unseasonably cool. I think I would have gone so far as to say it was cold..... 
Still wonderful though, relaxing, quiet and peaceful, with bracing walks and plenty of cake. Perfect.


16 comments:

  1. It looks absolutely wonderful. And thank goodness for the rescue services. I hope you enjoyed the fish and chips, I'm glad you had such a good time. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is beautiful. Such a shame that the rescue services were needed, but how amazing that we have them. xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow -- it seems any vacation with that Abbey featured would be a great trip -- no matter what the weather. Must have been amazing to see the rescue service -- so sad when they have to be called though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awe-inspiring photos - makes me want to pack a bag and go! xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks heavenly, whatever the weather, and don't fish and chips taste better by the sea? J x

    ReplyDelete
  6. How terrifying. Thank goodness for the rescue services.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just love that part of the world. I lived near Whitby for a year and I still miss it........beautiful photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been to Whitby, and I lived in Leeds for four years. Your photos are beautiful. The emergency services were called out here yesterday. Sadly it wasn't as happy an outcome as your person on the harbour wall.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh what beautiful photos--like postcards--such a lovely place for a holiday! And thank goodness for the rescue services. xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. What beautiful photos. I know our weather isn't always reliable, but still, seeing images like these makes me feel like it's great that we never end up jetting off somewhere exciting on hols, why would anyone go on holiday abroad when there's so much amazing coastline and countryside right here?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that stormy wave photo. And how clever to catch the copter- I am never quick enough to snap before they are gone from the viewfinder... Ax

    ReplyDelete
  12. GORGEOUS images from your holiday, Tess!! :o) ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  13. I might be repeating myself, I apologise if I am. I would love to visit Whitby, your photos are wonderful. We were camping in England, on what I believe was reported as, the coldest night in August on record. The English summer forever keeping us on our toes! - Annie

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the Yorkshire coast (I'm from Yorkshire so of course I do!) but I also love the Northumberland coast which I have just ready you are from. My in laws live in Lesbury near Alnmouth and love visiting them because we get to go to the beach!
    Miss Tulip x
    The Thrifty Magpies Nest

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.