Tuesday 16 September 2014

the slowest ever quick charm square quilt


quite some time ago (6 years..... maybe) I bought a little charm pack of fabric thinking it would be fun to make up a simple and quick quilt.


piecing the quilt took not much time at all, I went for the simplest design possible with huge areas of white sashing.


for a variety of reasons the quilting took rather longer......


my little helper for one.
and choosing a backing fabric.
oh and straight lines that weren't straight.
then once I'd finished it I decided the lines weren't enough and went back and filled in some more...


and then the next stumbling block. I'd used a charm pack. all the fabrics matched from one designer and colour range. I never work like this. I normally sew with the children's old pyjama's and random fabrics that I like/have in the house/got given scraps of by a friend....
I tried for months to find some more of the fabric, but could only find one of the designs and I didn't think it would make a good binding. I dithered about using a plain colour, or some of the backing, or just using white.



in the end I remembered the golden rule "when in doubt go for spots."


and finally it was finished.


just in time to become a birthday present.  I'm not going to admit how long it took me if I'm asked......

24 comments:

  1. This quilt is beautiful. I can't believe your gifting it - whoever it's for, are extremely lucky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jill, the birthday girl loved it thankfully xxx

      Delete
  2. You made a lovely quilt, Tess! I really like the modern feel and the backing fabric. Such a lucky recipient!
    Happy week.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful, what a wonderful gift. I hope they love it too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that is stunning T, you make it look so easy (cats and all). Lucky birthday person! J x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are amazing. How d'ya do all those squiggles? ax

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally beautiful. I am in awe of anyone who. An make a quilt! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't be awe. try it. I think everyone should x

      Delete
  7. *'who can make a quilt" oops x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, wow. It's gorgeous, Tess. Really well done.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why IS it that cats love quilts so much? Not just the finished article but the process! We have four cats and one of them loves to dive under the growing pile of quilt as it comes through the throat of my machine. And if I'm hand quilting I can end up with two of them sitting on areas of the quilt I'm not working on! Your quilt is beautiful in it's simplicity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, it is gorgeous now it's done anyway. And I shall have to remember your 'spots' rule, that binding certainly looks like it was always meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a beauty. I like the spots rule. You can never go wrong with spots.
    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. absolutely. spots are the best. (oh and stripes. I like stripes too, but not on binding........)

      Delete
  12. My goodness, it is just gorgeous. What a marvel you are. What a wonderful gift. Are you ready to make another one soon?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow - it is really beautiful. I can quite see how each of those things would have delayed it though. Worth finishing though. So bright and fresh looking. Have just spotted that cake below too - fabulous! xCathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful result.
    I used to rush myself along, but now enjoy taking time for creative projects, even if it is years. "Nature takes its time, and I am a part of nature," is an affirmation I once read and still love repeating to myself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Worth the wait though, it's gorgeous. I do love that fabric collection and your quilting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I was just going to say 'worth the wait'--then saw the comment above beat me to it! But it's totally true so will say it anyway! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely quilt, looks so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVELY, lovely quilt, Tess... and lovely story too! I think we all have those projects that linger. ;o) I do love squares against all that pure white, and your mix of line stitching and swirly curves--very visually exciting. Must say I LOVE the dots for the binding--love me a dots binding! Well worth the wait... and it will be a treasured present. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE it!! And am in awe of your machine quilting abilities!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.