Wednesday 11 November 2015

the poppies

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, 
row on row.


That mark our place, 
and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing fly
Scarce heard a mid the guns below.



We are the Dead,.
Short Days ago We lived,
felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, 
and now we lie in Flanders fields.


Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you from failing hands we throw the torch,
be yours to hold it high.





If you break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep
though poppies grow in Flanders fields.


 John McCrae (1872-1918)

13 comments:

  1. Moving and beautiful. CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had my own private two minutes earlier.
    Those poppies have been the most fantastic project, I am yet to get to the Sculpture park to see the installation there. It would be a good one for a trip out over Christmas.... I'm thinking that far ahead at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just thinking about that beautiful poem this morning -- I have a beautifully illustrated story book with the poem in it. The poppies are beautiful -- where are they? Are they the same poppies that were at The Tower?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So moving and powerful. We must never forget x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I memorized that poem in elementary school and can recite to this day. And I will.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look like they were an amazing sight. And lovely to read that poem again.

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.