Monday 30 June 2008

cherry and coconut slice

for Anna, recipe from this lovely cafe here



5 oz cooking chocolate
2 oz vegetable margarine
4oz soft brown sugar
4 oz coconut
1 egg
2 oz glace cherries (chopped)

line a Swiss roll tin with non-stick baking parchment or foil.
melt chocolate in double boiler or microwave, and spread over foil/paper and leave to cool.
Cream margarine and sugar. Beat in egg. Mix in cherries and coconut. Spread over the chocolate and cook until golden brown (15 -20 minutes) at Gas 4, 375F, 190C. cut into slices when cold.

I used foil and it stuck a bit, might try parchment next time, or that amazing re-useable non stick sheet stuff you can buy.

the beady eyed amongst you might notice that some of the pieces have raisins not cherries, for Miss K and hubby who are not cherry eaters - these pieces are good, but the raisins burnt a bit..

These might be good for you Kristina, for your allotment picnics.

We also made some great cookies last week, from Mel, recipe here, but they got eaten too quickly to photograph, - Mel has a good photo of hers!

15 comments:

  1. Another lovely looking recipe for me to try.
    lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They sounds lovely - I'll have to give them a go. Great for picnics for girls (or for a quiet cup of tea for me!).
    Cathy X

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks yummy! .... :0)

    Just to let you know I've moved my blog, hope to see you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh YUM. Thanks T, you are a star, I shall let you know how it turns out. Hope it wasn't TOO much of a chore, having a trial run first..you are very thoughtful to do that though!!x

    ReplyDelete
  5. cherry and coconut together sounds devine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look simply scrumptious!
    I just adore coconut, so I will be making these!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All these lovely recipes. We are planning to try out a few next week when the kids are on school hols.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I remember making these years ago, its a shame dh doesn't like cherries. My mam used to make these all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The non stick reusable stuff is fabulous just cut it to fit the tin, wash it after use, and use it again and again and again...............

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh yummmmmmy. These look great, thanks for the recipe :)
    Melx

    ReplyDelete
  11. My mother-in-law makes these...they are delicious and looking at them now has made me feel very hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, These slices look yum! Thay look very similar to some coconut sweets I had in Luxor Egypt! Sweet and yum....... Thanks for the recipe

    Priscilla x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yummmmm, Mel's recipes are great, we often make her choc slices, haven't tried these yet. Gx

    ReplyDelete

thanks for visiting, I love to read your comments, and I'll reply if I can see your email, or here in the comment box.